Thursday, January 17, 2013

Guide to Buying & Collecting Vintage or New Dress Forms

Guide to Buying & Collecting Vintage or New Dress Forms

Part I Guide - Arming Yourself with a baseline of Facts about Dress Forms

I love vintage Dress Forms & have been collecting them for almost five years now. I have learned alot about them, the different styles, materials, worth, future value, sizes & anything else you could ever need to know about them and finding one to meet your needs.

Because there is a variety of vintage dress forms to choose from, the most important point to think about when shopping for one is: Why am I buying this?

Typically those shopping for a dress form have one of 3 reasons to buy one:
  1. Want to use as decor only in their home, office or crafting room
  2. Want to use for sewing or fashion design (we won't get into this reason in this guide)
  3. Want to use for business purposes. Either to photograph products to sell online or have a storefront (antique mall, etc) and want to display products to promote sales
I have purchased dress forms for all three reasons. One our website www.DustyJunk.com we actually offer a variety of dress forms to fit all above reasons while matching your style and budget. We have vintage dress forms listed under our "Vintage Section" and we offer new cute dress forms (some look vintage) under our "New Modern Section"

On our website, we offer a cute metal wire dress form (it is new, but looks vintage) for only $45.00, so if you are mainly budget driven and want one for home decor, buying new may be a better option vs. buying vintage. Remember when buying any dress forms, they come in different sizes (some are adjustable but vintage ones may not adjust as good as they used too). When buying a wire dress form, it is a standard size. So metal wire dress forms are great for home decor and displaying some business products. I own 3 metal wire dress forms and have successfully photographed products for online selling. The type of products that metal wire forms work well with are: scarves, neckties, necklaces, clip photographs to them or other smaller products (jewelry, artwork or ephemera craft). You can also display belts and sometimes womens fashion can display well on them depending on the size of the form and the size of the clothing you are displaying. This photo is a new wire dress form that we sell alot of that looks vintage. This form is great that it can be used for home decor or business and display products I've discussed above. But it also features a center display shelf where you can display products you are wanting to highlight or photograph; like shoes.

One of my fav dress forms I own in my personal collection is an ivory metal wire dress form similar to this. I have a variety of my fav vintage items on it: a couple belts, vintage ribbon tied around a single wire, clipped photos and ephemera. I get more compliments on this form as it sits in my crafting room. It's simple, didn't bust my budget, it wasn't vintage but I originally paid around $60.00 for it.

 

Therefore, we've highlighted how important it is before you buy, to decide what you want to do with it... If you know you want to buy a true vintage dress form for home decor, photographing or displaying products on. We will help you understand what options you have and how not to get ripped off.. I have seen tons of ads listed on Craigslist for vintage Wolf dress forms. After I clicked the photos and reviewed the description, the form being sold was not an actual Wolf Dress Form. Therefore, I urge you to shop wisely when buying a vintage dress form from Craigslist. People have found shortcuts to make a fake look like a true Wolf Dress Form.

For those of you wondering what is a Wolf Dress Form? Vintage Wolf Dress Forms are highly valueable and hold future value. Thus they will cost you alot more when buying, but will hold their worth in the future. Vintage Wolf Dress Forms cost more due to Wolf Company custom handcrafts each form and they are mainly used by fashion designers. There are many different styles of Wolf Forms and I recommend you google Wolf Forms and visit www.WolfForm.com to understand what they look like. I have owned and purchased tons of Wolf Forms in the past. I am going to post a pic of my fav one. Sorry we recently sold this one, but if you decide you want to buy an authentic Wolf Dress Form, expect to pay from $350 up to $1000.00 depending on the year and condition. The Wolf Dress Form pictured here shows some important details that Wolf forms feature and will help you red flag fake ones. This form photographed, shows on the neck that it is a size 6. It also displays Wolf Dress Form across the chest. Watch the font, I've seen fakes where they mark a fake one with Wolf Form lettering. So please do you research and get to know how authentic Wolf forms lettering and fonts look like. On our form photographed, it also showed Model 1965, which helps you date the form. Wolf forms feature a solid brass neck finial and heavy wrought iron stand and base with wheels. The stand adjusts in height. Wolf forms are pinnable which is important if you want to photograph jewelry or other items.


 Continue to follow our Blog to see our Part II Guide which will help you understand other types of Vintage Dress Forms on the market. This guide will explain metal caging and other rare findings seen when shopping for vintage dress forms.


24 comments:

  1. Hello, I have a 1963 Wolf collapsible dress form that I am looking to sell, I love it but no longer use it and I'm looking to sell. Do you know how I would go about doing so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the size of yr dress form?

      Delete
    2. @Fashionlover85 - if you by chance still have your Wolf dress form and looking to sell it; please email us at MrBidAuctions@gmail.com
      and include a couple photos of the form!
      Thanks!
      The DustyJunk Team

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Do you still have it. I am looking for a 14 ish size depending on the year (and measurements)

      Delete
  3. Hello I have a small old model form. Half the sticker is ripped off on the front if I send you a pic can you please help me to identify it. Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are happy to assist you. Our team has been collecting, buying/selling dress forms over a decade and consider ourselves at an expertise level for appraisals and maker info.
      Email us the photos to our sister business: MrBidAuctions@gmail.com and be sure to include in the title "Dress Form Appraisal Request" and if you can include any additional info (where you bought it, did seller inform you of it's history)
      We will offer this appraisal at no charge.

      Best of Luck!
      The DustyJunk Team

      Delete
  4. I have been looking for a dress form for 18 months now (ridiculous I know), collapsible, with a good pedal for height and would be a 12 or 14 depending on the measurements. Does any one have anything for me? Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stock new dress forms with the shoulders collapsible, with a pedal in a size you are looking for. We may not have them on our website for purchase at this time, but if you are still shopping for a form and are interested, please email us at our sister business (we also own an Auction House & want to be sure to get your email) at MrBidAuctions@gmail.com
      Our new forms are beautiful and very high end. You will find them to be quite affordable compared to vintage forms or comparable Wolf forms

      Best of Luck!
      The DustyJunk Team

      Delete
  5. I have a Wolf form model. Size 14 1/2. Model 1951 in very good condition
    I am in San Diego. Contact me at toeknee77@juno.com if interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How would I go about identifying a vintage dress form? I can not find any tags or identifying marks on it. I picked it up super cheap off Craig's list to actually use but don't want to recover it if that decreases any value it might hold

    ReplyDelete
  7. How would I go about identifying a vintage dress form? I can not find any tags or identifying marks on it. I picked it up super cheap off Craig's list to actually use but don't want to recover it if that decreases any value it might hold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to send us some photos - you can use your cell and text them direct to me at 765-702-4060 - just be sure to include you are following up from our blog. Any info you can include is helpful.
      We now offer consignments thru our auction house MrBidAuctions.com- my husband is a retired IN state trooper and now a licensed auctioneer. You are not obligated - we do have a large network of form buyer/collectors in case you want to sell.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello I have a 1950 Superior mini dress form. From when Superior was still located it Harlem. I am looking to sell it. If anyone is interested it is a great collector piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would be happy to sell it on your behalf as a consignment. We also own an Auction House - MrBidAuctions.com
      We have a large network of dress form collectors/buyers from DustyJunk.com selling displays since 2008. If interested in getting more info, email us at MrBidAuctions@gmail.com and be sure to include in the title "1950 Superior Dress Form" and include some photos of the dress form. You can take them with your phone.
      Also include your shipping address so we can figure shipping fee upfront.
      Best of Luck!
      The DustyJunk Team

      Delete
  10. I have a vintage dressform my dad bought when i was very young. can you help me identify maybe what i could sell it for? I have a couple of photos i can send you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can text me the pics to 765-702-4060 or email to MrBidAuctions@gmail.com
      Be sure to include in title of info - you are sending from our blog on dressforms.
      Best of Luck!

      Delete
  11. I have a "my double" metal dress form and was wondering if you knew it's value? It's marked "model A right" and it's numbered at 2,335,324.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any idea of how to tell the age of a vintage Wolf NYC Collapsible dressform with the wrought iron stand? I see no real serial number aside from a "10" which is the size (Funny because it looks more like a size 6!) I have pictures as I just put it on ebay but I really with I knew the true age of this oldie but goodie. I think this link will show it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wolf-Brand-Dressform-Size-10-Circa-70s-/112217668972? Thanks for your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Need help! Ready to purchase a Wolf dress form 1965-there is no size marking-does say 3S-not sure what that means. How do I determine size?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I just acquired 4 wolf dress forms, the entire body size with stand... Are you still doing appraisals? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had a women's size 10 Wolf NYC dressform from now closed Pyke Manufacturing Company in SLC. Pyke Manufacturing was in business for almost 100 years prior to closing in 1996. This dressform has been in my possession since the 1970's. I am finally considering selling it. It's in good condition with the heavy wrought iron stand. Wondering its value.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fashion is about expressing your identity, showing someone who you are through your fashion choices and using your clothes to tell someone something about you.
    Buy Etilaam

    ReplyDelete